7 Summits 8000ers Adventure Films Adventure Travel Africa Alaska Alaska Alpine style Ama Dablam Amazon Andes Annapurna Annapurna Antarctic Antarctic Archaeology Arctic Arctic Aviation Ballooning BASE jump and Paragliding Big Wall climbing Breaking News Broad Peak Buyers Guides Canoeing & Kayaking Caving Cho Oyu Climate change Climbing COVID-19 Denali Desert Dhaulagiri Dhaulagiri Elbrus Endurance Environment Everest Expeditions Exploration mysteries Explorers First ascents Flying Gasherbrum Gear Geography High altitude skiing Himalaya Hindu Kush History Ice Climbing Indigenous cultures K2 Kangchenjunga Karakorum Kilimanjaro Lhotse Long-distance hiking Long-distance Trekking Makalu Manaslu Manaslu Marathon Medical Misc Sports Mountain Mountaineering Nanga Parbat Natural History Nepal Nuptse Ocean Rowing Oceanography Oceans Patagonia Photos Polar Exploration Polar Research Poles Reviews Rivers Rowing/canoeing Science Sherpa Siberia Skiing Solo South Pole Space Sponsored Content Survival Swimming Tropics Uncategorized Unclimbed Volcanos Weather Wildlife Winter 8000ers Winter Himalaya

Nanga Parbat Climbers Return to BC, Bad Weather Continues on Manaslu

Posted: Feb 28, 2015 06:21 pm EST

(By Raheel Adnan) Bad conditions forced the Nanga Parbat Kinshofer route climbers to turn back on day two of first summit push. As expected, the recent snowstorm had greatly changed the route conditions. Everyone is back at Base Camp, now. While Alex Txikon and Daniele Nardi will be waiting for another summit window, it appears that the Iranian team has decided to abandon the mountain.

On Manaslu, Simone Moro and Tamara Lunger are still stuck inside BC due to bad weather.

Summit Push-1 Unsuccessful




The climbers resumed the ascent from C1 at 8am, this morning. They intended to reach C2, but were forced to turn back from 5300m. “The same corridor below Kinshofer wall that we before fixed and climbed completely icy, was covered by heavy snowy today, up to our waists,” Alex Txikon told Base Camp. “Yesterday, on the way, we saw more than one (avalanches here), and also signals of previous snow falings; neither today, terrain was not safe at all”.

Hence the climbers decided to turn back and wait for another summit window. They arrived back at BC, at around mid-day. Daniele Nardi seems satisfied with the efforts so far, “I really enjoyed it. It was a way to move a bit the legs after a long wait and see the conditions of the mountain.”

 

End of Iranian Expedition


After reaching BC, the Iranian climbers decided to end their winter attempt. Igone Mariezkurrena quoted the Iranians from Diamir BC, “We think the mountain is covered by too heavy snow, it is dangerous, and besides, information coming from our country tells weather is not going to change next days. That’s why we think is not possible to make it this time.”

Alex Txikon and Daniele Nardi will probably make another summit push, if weather permits.

 

Manaslu


Simone Moro and Tamara Lunger have been stuck inside BC since Thursday due to bad weather and heavy snow. “Today as well, shoveling shoveling shoveling!” Tamara commented on Facebook yesterday.

 

Based in Pakistan, mountaineering enthusiast Raheel Adnan is a reporter for Explorersweb's mountaineering sections. He shares regular updates on Twitter and runs his own blog at Altitude Pakistan posting initiated climbing news from Himalaya and Karakoram.

 

Previous/Related:

Nanga Parbat Summit Push Begins
 
10 things to do before going off to climb Everest
 
Ali Sadpara's Must-read Interview, Nanga Parbat High Altitude Police and Bad Weather Reaches Manaslu
 
Winter climb 2015: Peak Pobeda, Kazakhstan
 
No Break in Nanga Parbat Bad Weather, C1 Ready on Manaslu
 
Nanga Parbat Murders: Pakistan forms High Altitude Police
 
Nanga Parbat Summit-bid Strategy and ‘Bad Omens’ on Manaslu
 
Italians at Manaslu BC, Nanga Parbat Action Freezes
 
Wildcard: Everest Rules and Permits 2015
 
Snowstorm hits Nanga Parbat, Simone & Tamara Travel towards Manaslu
 
Progress on Nanga Parbat, Simone Moro's New Project
 
Everest Tech Week 2015: BC hotspots, social updates
 
Everest Tech Week 2015: Review IsatHub/iSavi
 
Nanga Parbat Climbers Return to BC, Simone Moro Starts his Expedition Next Week
 
Nanga Parbat: Russians Wrap Up their Expedition, Progress on Diamir Side

 

Nanga Parbat update: Russians back in BC

 

Nanga Parbat Summit-bid from Rupal Side: Russians Waiting in C4

 

Nanga Parbat: A Mountain to be Climbed by First Week of February

 

Waiting: The Usual Winter Nanga Parbat Business

 

Nanga Parbat: Elisabeth Revol's Account of Summit Push

 

Nanga Parbat: Summit Push Details and Update on Other Teams

 

Nanga Parbat: End of Tomek Mackiewicz’ Fifth Winter Attempt

 

Nanga Parbat: Tomek & Elisabeth are Back in BC and the New Entrants

 

Winter Nanga Parbat | Tomek and Elisabeth at 7000m, Going Up Slowly

 

Nanga Parbat current, interview with Ian Overton

 

Living Out Loud: An Artist on Nanga Parbat

 

Nanga Parbat Winter Recall

 

Dupre Summits Winter Denali

 

Nanga Parbat: Acclimatization and Progressing towards C2

 

Nanga Parbat Basecamps Established, Climbing Begins

 

Nanga Parbat Teams in Pakistan, K2 Climbers Hopeful

 

Russian team off to Nanga Parbat, route decided 

 

History of Winter Climbing Nanga Parbat

 

#Mountaineering

Nanga Parbat: It took them three hours to excavate C1 tents.
SOURCE
Iranian climbers decided to end their expedition, this afternoon. They will be leaving BC tomorrow.
SOURCE
Simone Moro and Tamara Lunger have been stuck inside BC since Thursday due to bad weather and heavy snow.
SOURCE
×