Nanga Parbat: Time for Potential Summit-Bid

The weather window has arrived and the Kinshofer route climbers are on the move.

The weather window has arrived and the Kinshofer route climbers are on the move. They are aiming to reach C2 today and go for summit in next couple of days. Their progress will, however, depend upon meteorological conditions and physical health of climbers, considering the not-so-perfect acclimatization level.

Alex Txikon, Ali Sadpara, Tamara Lunger and Simone Moro left Base Camp this morning at 05:30am. As of now (1200hrs local time), they are negotiating the ascent to C2 (6100m) below Kinshofer Wall. The four climbers spent a night in C2 last week, whereas Alex Txikon and Ali Sadpara fixed ropes till C3 (6700m) in January.

Igone Mariezkurrena, BC manager and partner of Alex Txikon, writes that the much-awaited weather window, possibly a short one, has arrived and the team will grab the opportunity to launch summit push. “Looks like the window is here, the good one, the definitive one, the one that, if everything goes OK and bodies respond, can give Alex Txikon, Ali Sadpara, Simone Moro and Tamara Lunger the chance for pushing for this still unclimbed Nanga Parbat winter summit. They set off from BC today at 5:30am, directly for C2 (6.100m).”

By and large, it has been strong wind preventing climbing activates on the mountain since late January. On Friday night though, 45cm of snow fell at BC and a large avalanche from Mazeno almost reached the camp. Wind front of the avalanche damaged poles of Kitchen tent. “We crossed the glacier for a quick check and saw that it snowed mostly in low altitudes. It means conditions on our route will be perfect in two-three days, when the desired window will be here,” wrote the team.

It’s Over for Cleo Weidlich?

Following the departure of Cleo Weidlich’s two Sherpa, Alessandro Filippini reports that the Brazilian-American climber has abandoned her attempt now. Details about the Cleo’s activities on the mountain are not available as of now.