K2 Gamble: Mingote and Mohr Move Up As Weather Worsens

K2 Winter 8000ers
No picnic: Sergi Mingote reached Camp 2 today.

Most climbers are on the way down or are already back in BC, as the rising wind worsens the already bitter cold. They all report difficult conditions and deteriorating weather.

Yet Sergi Mingote has kept moving upward. He climbed heavily loaded for nine hours to Camp 1 on January 2 and then had a hard time pitching his tent in the screaming wind. Once inside, he and Juan Pablo Mohr had no energy left to melt snow and simply crawled into their bags but didn’t sleep, as the wind rattled their tent all night.

On January 3, with poor visibility but less wind, they stayed in Camp 1 for another night to catch up on their rest. Then today, despite increasing winds and a bad forecast, Mingote and Mohr pushed on to Camp 2, where they are now camped for the night, according to Mingote’s tracker.

On the way up, at a vertical section of blue ice, they crossed paths with John Snorri and the Sadparas. “There is no one up there, the wind is very strong and has broken several tents — we’re going down!” Ali Sadpara shouted.

Nevertheless, Mingote and Mohr reached C2 at 6,547m, at the foot of House’s Chimney after four-and-a-half hours. Their climb included some very technical sections, made even harder by the wind. “The tent needed some fixing and lots of struggle to get in,” Mingote said. “Now I am inside the tent, with all my clothes on, trying to get the feeling in my fingers back.”

Tomorrow, Mingote says, they will return to Base Camp. “The cold paralyzes you to the brain!” said Mingote. “Both JP and I are fine. Tired…exhausted…but happy to be in one of the most incredible places on earth.” If the forecasts are right, Mingote and Mohr had better hurry.

Carlos Garranzo, feeling better after acclimatization problems and a stomach bug, moved up to Camp 1 but is expected to return to BC shortly, along with everyone else.

All down: STT’s warmly clad rope fixers, safely back from the Black Pyramid.

Meanwhile, Seven Summit Treks’ rope-fixing team has made it back to BC after two nights at 7,050m at the Black Pyramid, waiting out strong winds. “Unfortunately, they were not able to fix higher and were forced down in the deteriorating weather,” said Dawa Sherpa. “However, they left enough rope and oxygen for the next opportunity.”

Magdalena Gorzkowska on the move.

The difficulties are not even comparable to anything else

Magdalena Gorzkowska and Oswaldo Pereira, along with two Sherpas, were the first STT clients to reach Camp 2 and spend a night there, after five days up the mountain. Gorzkowska returned to BC yesterday after a night in C1, a second one at 6,550m, and a failed attempt to reach Camp 3, but with a graphic description of the challenges ahead:

“It was exactly as I expected,” she said. “Extremely hard, cold, windy, and a few kilometres of abyss below us. Relentless 45 to 60 degrees steep route, calves on fire and no possible rest, stones and chunks of ice constantly falling. The difficulties are not even comparable to anything else.”

Waldemar Kowalewski was airlifted from Base Camp today. Photo: Arnold Coster

In Base Camp, Waldemar Kowalewski was finally evacuated, despite violent gusts of wind that complicated the helicopter pickup. It turns out that his hernia was a pre-existing condition, according to Dawa Sherpa. “In civilization, this is a minor medical problem,” said Dawa, “but up here it means you need to leave.”

About the Author

Angela Benavides

Angela Benavides

Senior journalist, published author and communication consultant. Specialized on high-altitude mountaineering, with an interest for everything around the mountains: from economics to geopolitics. After five years exploring distant professional ranges, I returned to ExWeb BC in 2018. Feeling right at home since then!

Leave a Reply

12 Comments on "K2 Gamble: Mingote and Mohr Move Up As Weather Worsens"

newest oldest most voted
Notify of

Good to see that so far all are safe and sound, but with deteriorating weather this is just the beginning. Hopefully not too much new snow will fall, and hopefully Mingote and Mohr get down to BC before things get really bad….


Thank you, Angela, for your clear, ongoing
reporting of this event.


What I want to know is are they bringing all their stuff back down the mountain, or are they just going to leave it, like Everest? I am all for this climb and it’s exciting, but NOT at the expense of mother nature! Bring ALL your stuff down (including excrement)!

Damien François
C’mon… K2 is big and so is Everest! We all bring back as much trash as possible! Did you know that 3 tons of trash were brought down in the Spring 2019 from higher camps by nepalese Army? So, yes, there is trash, because there is people up there; but no, the problem is NOT what politically correct and virtue-signalling naysayer msm say! Ever been on Everest? Ever stood on it’s summit? Didn’t you see how GIB the world is? Ohhh, you haven’t, ok… Read this:”Stop trashing Everest” https://www.nepalitimes.com/banner/overkill-on-everest/ And ponder: “Are the abbots of Tengboche and Pangboche monasteries betraying… Read more »

Thankyou for keeping us connected to the the ever changing situation on K2.
Mike Byrne uk, wales


Loving the update, I hope they get back to bc before the weather gets any worse

Taimoor khan

Plz dnt put rescuers life in danger for ur own ego n fame… Try to ascent only when k2 allows u to do so..

Jason Porter

I enjoy reading the daily updates of this amazing expedition! Keep going and stay safe up there everybody 🙂
Thank you! Jay from Wales too!