K2: Second Helicopter Search Finds Nothing

8000ers K2 Karakorum
Photo: Chhang Dawa Sherpa

A second helicopter search has found no sign of missing climbers Ali Sadpara, John Snorri, and JP Mohr on K2. The helicopter crew and an accompanying photographer traced the route up to a height of 7,000m.

Despite suffering from frostbite, Greek climber Antonios Sykaris joined the flight to help the pilots identify possible search areas. Sykaris will soon be airlifted from Base Camp to receive treatment for his frostbite.

Although there was no sign of the missing trio during the flight, high-resolution images taken by the photographer will be carefully examined at Base Camp.

Sajid Sadpara was unable to join the flight as he comes to terms with his father’s plight.

The two experienced Pakistani climbers, Imtiaz Hussain and Akbar Ali, were intending to search the Abruzzi Spur route today on foot, but no news on their progress.

+1

About the Author

Ash Routen

Ash Routen

Ash is an outdoor and adventure writer from the UK. He juggles a day job as a public health scientist with a second career in outdoor writing.

His words have featured in national newspapers, international magazines, and on various websites. Major bylines include Financial Times, Daily Telegraph, Porsche, Outside Magazine, Rock and Ice, and Red Bull.

He holds two degrees in Exercise and Health Sciences, and a PhD in Public Health.

His areas of expertise are polar expeditions, mountaineering, hiking, and adventure travel. In his spare time Ash enjoys going on small independent sledding expeditions, outdoor photography, and reading adventure literature.

Read more at www.ashrouten.com or follow Ash via @ashrouten on Twitter and Instagram.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
29 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Seb Baxter
Seb Baxter
25 days ago

Sad beyond words 😥

0
Tadeo
Tadeo
25 days ago
Reply to  Seb Baxter

devastating.. let us hope that they are at camp3 waiting for help..
I think there was no camp4 mounted this time right?
hoping for a miracle..

0
Samson Simon Sharaf
25 days ago
Reply to  Tadeo

Me too

0
Uwe Vossler
Uwe Vossler
25 days ago
Reply to  Seb Baxter

Es ist auch meine einzige Hoffnung, dass sie im Lager 3 auf Hilfe warten.
Ich bete für die drei Bergsteiger.

0
UMK
UMK
25 days ago

Unfortunately, its time to accept the bitter truth 🙁 even chances of a miracle seem to be diminishing as we head towards a 72hrs timeline however, who knows there could still be a big miracle (i really hope so)

I am more concerned about an avalanche or serac fall that hit the trio (i hope not) rather than the trio being up there for more than 50hrs almost

0
BBS
BBS
25 days ago
Reply to  UMK

Would serac fall or avalanche be observed / heard by sajid in c3?

0
UMK
UMK
25 days ago
Reply to  BBS

May be but not sure. Another potential threat on K2 which has also been observed in the past is climbers losing way while getting down from summit in dark which also happened during 2008 k2 disaster.

0
Sven
Sven
25 days ago
Reply to  UMK

The son sajid told that the trio was in good shape so possible to be an avalanche…. Fall? i dont think so they dont connect each other in a rope. The only hope and miracle is that they stuck in camp 3 🙏

0
UMK
UMK
25 days ago
Reply to  Sven

Makes sense. However, i am thinking shouldnt they be down by now even if they were stuck at camp 3 because it has been very long time now.

0
Inda
Inda
25 days ago

Doesn’t it get dark soon there? In two hours? I am so devastated for the families of the climbers who probably are still harboring some hope. I hope from the bottom of my heart a miracle will happen.

0
UMK
UMK
25 days ago
Reply to  Inda

It will be dark in 90 min thats right 🙁

0
Inda
Inda
25 days ago
Reply to  UMK

Scary. I hope there are some news before that. Any. One more night of knowing nothing is terrifying even just for us out-standers.

0
Worried
Worried
25 days ago

How can so many technology failures happen at same time even before stronger winds show up:::
* John’s tracker
* JP’s tracker
* 3 sets of hand radios to base camp
* headlamps for 3 climbers
* any flashlights or lanterns
* John’s satelite phone

It seems if they have shelter in ice cave of sorts it would make sense no technologies working.

0
Sven
Sven
25 days ago
Reply to  Worried

We hope so. They are expirience climbers to hide in an ice cave. I hope they have enough oxigen

0
BBS
BBS
25 days ago
Reply to  Worried

Common thing in all is batteries and i suppose in the cold you run out really quickly. I suppose sajid used one to give news from c3? With no reports after rest ran out of batteries shortly after or even before leaving c3 like trackers indicate with last reported location. What do you think?

0
Victor
Victor
25 days ago

Chhang Dawa Sherpa wrote that he and Saijd were part of the search flight (check his insta @14dawa)

0
Saran Subba
Saran Subba
25 days ago
Reply to  Victor

Yes, and he has posted pics too. I wonder why this author have a problem in writing Chhang Dawa Sherpa instead of “accompanying photographer”.

0
Debra
Debra
25 days ago
Reply to  Saran Subba

The author may not have a problem writing it. There is much conflicting information. Snorris own photographer is at base camp. It would make sense that a professional photographer took the photos as they understand how to get the best imaging using the equipment. The photos were then sent to base camp to be viewed. So the pics are in base camp. I’m sure the author is reporting what he has been told.

0
Victor
Victor
25 days ago
Reply to  Saran Subba

The photographer might have not been him. There was also an actual photographer at base camp documenting Snorri’s climb. He might have been on the search flight taking the hi res pictures

0
Saran Subba
Saran Subba
25 days ago
Reply to  Victor

Perhaps you are right the photographer was there, but there is clear mention “Today, 2 Army helicopters (along with Saijd and I) made a search flight”. No mention of the photographer. So Photographer is might or might not be there, it is only proper to mention what we know for confirm that Sajid and Chhang was there. Just stating facts.

0
Debra
Debra
25 days ago
Reply to  Saran Subba

Chhang has edited his Instagram to say first flight up this morning had Snorri photographer and second flight this afternoon he and Sajid.

0
Rüdiger
Rüdiger
25 days ago
Reply to  Victor

Edit: someone already posted the instagram post from Dawa lower.

0
Lein
Lein
25 days ago

They separated with Sajid at bottleneck. I believe they made it the summit. Probably too late due to cold. They wore in good health. And perished on a way down. Possibly due to avalanche or serac fall. Might of got lost due to broken ropes and dark coming back. That’s where most accidents happens going down on savage mountain.

0
Abbas Reza
Abbas Reza
25 days ago
Reply to  Lein

I feel there has been an error in judgement at the bottleneck when Sajid started descending, if they were already at 10am there (3 hours behind the Nepalese team’s equal time, and considering the Nepalese team summitted at 5pm), Ali JP and Snorri would summit at 8pm? .. is that even achievable .. or is that even something they had agreed on trying? it just baffles me .. i hope its not the cold getting to their brains and summit fever got the best of them .. The only other unfortunate thought that comes to my mind is a freak… Read more »

Bruno Misseeuw
Bruno Misseeuw
25 days ago

Were there any tents left in C4? If not I believe to remember one of the climbers was carrying a tent .. Is there any possibility to see C4 if not from the camps down below from the helicopter .. Still somehow think they may have taken shelter during the descent as C3 was too far in the dark waiting till dawn and then perhaps not moving on because the temperatures dropped and winds increased .. All this being said I guess chances of survival are now close to none in these temperatures..

0
Abbas Reza
Abbas Reza
25 days ago
Reply to  Bruno Misseeuw

No one has used C4 this winter period i beieve, its too risky to be sleeping at that height with a -62C windchill – the idea has been to go C3 to Summit and back directly .. so i would think there’s nothing at C4 .. and left over from last summer climb would be unusable/non-existent.. I’m just so heart broken that sometimes these searches never find anything because of the vastness of the mountain and where they may have fallen off (god forbid) .. they just remain missing for years .. They have to climb down on their own… Read more »

Abbas Reza
Abbas Reza
25 days ago

By Chhang Dawa Sherpa 🇳🇵

Today, 2 Army helicopters (along with Saijd and I) made a search flight (with an aerial reconnaissance) for an hour up to its maximum limit: 7800m again to locate missing climbers Ali, John Snorri, and Juan Pablo Mohr in K2. The search team went through the Abruzzi and other routes, we had less weather visibility above C 4, unfortunately, no trace at all. 😔

The wind above 6400m is still 40KM.

0
Bill Bones
25 days ago

Face the facts, they’re gone !
RIP gentlemen

0
jams
jams
25 days ago
Reply to  Bill Bones

Hate to agree but yes, I think you are correct.

0