Breaking: Nirmal Purja Climbs Broad Peak

8000ers Mountain
Nirmal Purja on one of many recent 8,000'er summits. Photo: Project Possible

Again, he’s done it. Nirmal Purja, together with Mingma David Sherpa and Halung Dorchhi, summited Broad Peak (8,051m) at 8:50am Pakistan time.

This is Purja’s eleventh 8000’er on his quest to climb all 14 in seven months. Details to follow.

Angela Benavides

Angela Benavides

Senior journalist, published author and communication consultant. Specialized on high-altitude mountaineering, with an interest for everything around the mountains: from economics to geopolitics. After five years exploring distant professional ranges, I returned to ExWeb BC in 2018. Feeling right at home since then!

Dan
Dan
1 year ago

Legend.

Damien Francois
Damien Francois
1 year ago

I was very upet when I first heard about the project. But now I see this guy is not doing it for fame (maybe a little, yes) or big sponsoring money. Magic. This is, in alpinistic term, a milestone I would have never imagined “doable”. Magic.

Not an Everest climber
Not an Everest climber
1 year ago

Yes, it’s great and all but he’s pretty much repeating routes which have been climbed numerous times before. The spirit of adventure and true Alpinism is to find and “explore” new routes (as Chris Bonington wonderful put it). This is the problem with modern Alpinism; nowadays it’s all about social media fame. Look at the young Slovenian talents and climbers like Jordi Corominas who repeated the second ascent of the Magic Line on K2 in 2004. Nobody else has even come close to repeating it. Jordi climbed it and went back home without making a big deal of it. Modern… Read more »

Ankit
Ankit
1 year ago

I completely agree that the real adventure and alpinism is trying something new and exploring at every point of time…even i had mixed thoughts about Nims doing this..but what has impressed me the most is his love for the community ..he has given 100% while rescuing people on his project at Annapurna and Kanchenjunga … And who doesn’t love a little fame..but i will never make my judgements by just seeing stuff..legend like Conrad Anker supports him and he definitely is helping to spread the word of mountaineering ! And i cant even imagine of trekking for 12 days straight… Read more »

MD79
MD79
1 year ago

“The spirit of adventure and true Alpinism is to find and “explore” new routes”
“Look at the young Slovenian talents and climbers like Jordi Corominas who repeated the second ascent of the Magic Line”
🤔

Circus Clown
Circus Clown
1 year ago
Reply to  MD79

How many others have successfully climbed repeated the Magic Line?

Damien Francois
Damien Francois
1 year ago

New routes is what pros should focus on, I agree. But when someone has the power, the energy, the will, the… focus to climb like Nims climbs, it deserves high respect and it IS a milestone. I am a slow climber who views expeditions as more than just a physical and technical feat; a culutural experience. Read this: “Unlike speed-climbers I do not seek to set up new records and certainly do not climb to deconstruct the laws of elementary physics. I rejoice in the simplicity of life and of what I do, but I am not interested in faster,… Read more »

Nomita
Nomita
1 year ago

If it is really about the mountains…and if a timeline needs to exist, why chose 7 months? Or maybe there is a science to it, which i am not aware of. Everyone likes grand slam. Doing it and doers. However it would still be an achievement if he did over two years. I do follow him on IG. And am aware of his venture. He does a lot for the community and does not seem to be an insensitive, ambitious mountaineer. Anyways that kinds do not survive the trials of death zone. And each 8000 is as unique as a… Read more »

Henry
Henry
1 year ago

This photo was posted in his instagram July 18. ???

Vladi
Vladi
1 year ago
Reply to  Henry

Yes, under the photo caption says its from one of his recent summits, one of the Gasherbrums i think.

Vladi
Vladi
1 year ago

Well done to Nirmal Purja and his team. Nims reminds me of the late Swiss alpinist Ueli Steck, famous for his speed climbs in the Alps and Himalaya.