Bumbling Brit Trapped in Kabul

Adventure Travel
Photo: Miles Routledge

Twenty-two-year-old British student Miles Routledge is stuck in Kabul, and he only has himself to blame.

Routledge is far from the first war tourist, but his story ranks with the most ridiculous examples. Routledge googled “most dangerous countries to visit” and opted for a trip to “goof off” in Afghanistan while the Taliban were sweeping through the country. Speaking to The Spectator, he explained, “I was under the impression the country wouldn’t fall for another month…I thought maybe the worst case would be food poisoning.”

Clearly attention-hungry, he has been posting to notorious message board 4Chan (an anonymous message board often cited as the birthplace of the Anonymous hacker group) and streaming live on Facebook and Twitch.

Routledge’s preparations for a trip to Afghanistan included “messaging a couple of people and watching some YouTube videos” before he applied for (and was somehow granted) a tourist visa. By the time he arrived, the Taliban surrounded Kabul. Yesterday, the Afghan president fled the country and Taliban fighters entered the city. Routledge had been planning to fly out on a commercial flight on August 19.

British and U.S. forces have been flown in to cover the withdrawal of internationals in Kabul, so a commercial flight out seems incredibly unlikely. Routledge claims to be in a safe house somewhere near the airport. He has been trying to speak to the British embassy to escape the country. He doesn’t seem particularly concerned about the extreme danger he is putting his hosts in. However, he has asked his Facebook friends to “consider the people who live in Afghanistan as they’re doing so much worse [than him]”.

The university student from Loughborough has managed to make the fall of Kabul all about him. “This trip has been a test of God. I’m very religious so I believe I’ll be looked after.” Let’s hope no one loses their lives on his account.

Martin Walsh

Martin Walsh

Martin Walsh is a freelance writer and wildlife photographer based in Da Lat, Vietnam.

A history graduate from the University of Nottingham, Martin's career arc is something of a smörgåsbord. A largely unsuccessful basketball coach in Zimbabwe and the Indian Himalaya, a reluctant business lobbyist in London, and an interior design project manager in Saigon.

He has been fortunate enough to see some of the world. Highlights include tracking tigers on foot in Nepal, white-water rafting the Nile, bumbling his way from London to Istanbul on a bicycle, feeding wild hyenas with his face in Ethiopia, and accidentally interviewing Hezbollah in Lebanon.

His areas of expertise include adventure travel, hiking, wildlife, and half-forgotten early 2000s indie-rock bands.

Tony Baloney
Tony Baloney

What an utter t*sser

Tango!
Tango!
Reply to  Tony Baloney

I’m an American, so I’m unfamiliar with that phrase. Is that the equivalent of a total asshole? If so, I’d love to borrow that phrase from you. With credit, of course.

Tony Baloney
Tony Baloney
Reply to  Tango!

Haha yep, utter tosser, or bellend. Essentially total asshole as you say 🙂

Brit Backpacker
Brit Backpacker
1 month ago

Should leave him in Kabul. He’ll get all the attention he wants…from the Taliban

R1492
R1492
1 month ago

Here’s a recording of a live chat with ‘Lord’ Miles -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOaTwo7FfEU. He strikes me as someone who could have a narcissistic and/or sociopathic personality. His response to seeing corpses on the side of the road (30m 47 sec) was, “… I hear gunshots, I see people dead… a few people got into car crashes at high speeds and it’s just dead people. Like, you know, it didn’t bother me because it’s just death really.” And, at least from my point of view, he made this statement with little sign of empathy or upset. Sure, he could just be shell-shocked… Read more »

Marie
Marie
1 month ago

Dear administrators of this site, as I have mentioned already a few weeks ago, when I come back to a page I find myself having “liked” comments which I have actually never “liked”, like the 2 on this page. In fact, the last comment I allegedly “liked” was not even here yet when I last visited this page. This has been going on for months now. Can you please make sure that nobody “likes” comments in my name? This time I do not remove the mysteriously appeared “thumbs up” in order to facilitate an investigation. Thank you in advance!

Marie
Marie
Reply to  Martin Walsh

If I “like” your comment (like I just did), I click on the “thumbs up” button below it, and the button turns red. Now I keep finding lots of red thumbs-up-buttons below comments that I have not actually “liked” (by pressing the thumbs button).

Marie
Marie
Reply to  Martin Walsh

Thank you for your reply. However, only a few (not all) “thumbs up buttons” appear red and nobody else uses my mobile phone and my computer (save the cats now and then). I just do not feel comfortable with the fact that comments that I really do not want to support get a “thumbs up” on my behalf… And it’s mostly these kinds of comments that I see a red button under. Thank you anyway for your efforts, and keep up the good work.

Marie
Marie
Reply to  Martin Walsh

Hi Martin, I nevertheless kindly ask your system administrator to look into this problem and fix this technical issue. Now the thumbs up button below victor J banks’ stupid and disrespectful remark about me is activated, indicating that I liked it, and I just do not want such things to happen again. What if someone praised Hitler tomorrow and the only “like” came from “my” computer? Please be so kind to have this security issue fixed. Thank you in advance.

Support Guy
Support Guy
Reply to  Marie

PEBCAK

Marie
Marie
Reply to  Support Guy

Final resort: If you can’t fix it, blame it on the user. 😉

victor J banks
victor J banks
Reply to  Marie

You act like this a real problem get over yourself nobody cares what comments you like or didnt like.