Drama in Nepal: Escape From Everest and Baruntse

8000ers Everest
A thick layer of cloud lingers over Everest Base Camp. Photo: Summit Climb

Nepal’s Home Ministry has called for expedition agencies and tourism officials to make climbers return immediately from the mountains. For those high on Everest and Baruntse, returning is easier said than done.

While climbing permits are valid until the end of the month, the impact of Cyclone Yaas has prompted authorities to summon climbers down, the Everest News blog told ExplorersWeb. In fact, there may be little need for the official press release. On Everest, most teams at higher camps have switched their focus to getting down safely, in very tough conditions.

We still await news from Baruntse, where Marek Holecek and Radoslav Groh have been trapped after completing a new route. The exhausted pair, possibly without food or even fuel for melting water, are into their eighth day on the wall. Yesterday, they only managed to descend 100m. In Holecek’s latest message, he said that they would attempt to descend during the night.

In the storm

Heavy snowfall will continue until Saturday. This is bad news for Holecek and Groh, as well as for those on Everest. Many climbers are weathering the storm in Camp 2 or trying to get down the mountain.

Everest, Lhotse and Nuptse are somewhere behind these thick clouds today, May 27. Photo: Everest Weather Station

Nirmal Purja had planned to get to Camp 3 today. Instead, because of bad weather, he halted his team in Camp 2. “Our summit plan is May 30 for Everest and May 31 for Lhotse,” he wrote.

It is unclear what the weather will be like by then, and whether his team will manage to convince the Icefall Doctors to keep the route open, despite the government orders calling everyone back. Purja added that the wind has dropped but that there are some “snow showers.”

Nirmal Purja keeps morale high in Camp 2. Photo: Nirmal Purja/Elite Exped

Everyone on the mountain depends heavily on O2. Teams in Camp 2 suspect that other teams have used up their oxygen supplies in Camp 4. “We need the weather to be good enough tomorrow for the Sherpas to check on it,” explained Jenn Drummond, a member of Purja’s team. “Teams that summited on May 23 were stuck on the mountain for four extra days at high camps, so oxygen not belonging to those teams was potentially needed, and used.”

Dan Mazur’s Summit Climb team, which had a tough descent from the summit, mentioned that the team had used oxygen nonstop during their descent, including during an unplanned night in Camp 3.

Weather permitting, the teams pushing for the summit might try to get more oxygen brought up and wait one extra day in Camp 4. But inclement weather and the government announcement make this increasingly unlikely.

However, there might be some spare O2 bottles left by expeditions that recently aborted their climbs, such as Climbing The Seven Summits (CTSS). CTSS members stated they had to leave because they lacked enough Sherpa support on the mountain. COVID has heavily hit the Sherpas in that company.

No helicopters

Now back in Base Camp, Dan Mazur points out a potentially critical issue: Helicopters cannot fly in this weather. His team are tired after a very tough descent and want to fly back to town, but that isn’t possible. He has told his Sherpas, who need to go up and retrieve gear, rubbish and tents from the higher camps, to stay put until the weather improves.

Conditions are especially bad above Base Camp. Mazur described the scene: “Today thick clouds choke our camp in the gauzy fog of big fat snowflakes. A new white carpet of sticky late May snow coats the ground and every surface. Above us, a low leaden grey overcast ceiling obscures the peaks. Weather must be ripping inside there.”

Needless to say, helicopters are not available, either to remove sick climbers or to perform rescues at altitude. For now, climbers will have to look after themselves. In the end, despite technology, O2 and fixed-ropes, this is still Everest.

+8

About the Author

Angela Benavides

Angela Benavides

Senior journalist, published author and communication consultant. Specialized on high-altitude mountaineering, with an interest for everything around the mountains: from economics to geopolitics. After five years exploring distant professional ranges, I returned to ExWeb BC in 2018. Feeling right at home since then!

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
17 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
jajo_majo
jajo_majo
16 days ago

not good

0
Anna
Anna
16 days ago

Colin Bradley is on his way up. No o2.

0
daniela
Daniela Teixeira
16 days ago

Nice photo on Covid days! Elite idiots!

+8
Jay B
Jay B
16 days ago

S show continues. People, there are way cooler mountains on this planet than Everest to climb. I hope you all make it down safe and figure this out. Nobody cares if you climb Everest.

+8
David
10 days ago
Reply to  Jay B

Rodger that mate.

0
Don Paul
Don Paul
16 days ago

No helicopters means no medical rescues. If there were a time to bail, this would be it.

+5
F v
F v
16 days ago

Tomorrow less snow than today, and saturday till monday looks dry and not to much wind. Summit of everest and lhotse looks still possible, weather looks way better than last summits on 22 – 24 may.

+1
Adrian
Adrian
16 days ago

The only people I want down safe are Marek and Radoslav. Everyone else can get stuffed.

+10
Adrian
Adrian
16 days ago
Reply to  Adrian

And the Sherpas.

+11
MuddyBoots
MuddyBoots
16 days ago
Reply to  Adrian

i’m not a person who says this publicly, but I will say a prayer for their safe descent, soon. May the weather improve for them, very quickly.
What a contrast to the circus on Everest.

+5
Daniel P.
Daniel P.
16 days ago

The person who claimed EBC was a sh*tstorm early on proved to be 100% accurate. Why are these people still even on the mountain at this point? The icefall doctors wanted to be closing by May 31 after already extending, Sherpa are sick with Covid, weather is poor, etc. Even if the teams on the mountain eventually find a good summit window, at what cost did your 5 minutes of social media fame come with at this point? It all seems so selfish now. The climbers and teams who made the tough decision to end their expeditions early on are… Read more »

Gopolang
Gopolang
16 days ago

Must have respect for life. Ego seems to take over wisdom. Mountains will always win..its nature..RESPECT.

+7
Marie
Marie
15 days ago

Summitclimb’s account sounds really scary, they say that Camp 3 was “pulverized” by an avalanche, and Elite Exped is up there… The SC team offers their help, kudos to them! https://www.summitclimb.com/news/recent/everest-nepal-news

0
barbara
barbara
15 days ago
Reply to  Marie

yes, sounds terrible. what a mess. what a (mostly self(ish) made ) tragedy. seems that this year means to be a landmark in the decline of the virtues/ art of mountaineering.

0
Stan
Stan
15 days ago

Check out this person’s account of her experience up at Camp 4 and prior. She was with Climbing the Seven Summits. Seems the truth is starting to dribble out now.

https://www.facebook.com/vanessaestol

0
Patrick Dunham
Patrick Dunham
15 days ago

The mountain calls the shots, forever and always.

+1
Fritz B
Fritz B
12 days ago

You should not be able to merely “buy” your way onto Everest. You need to EARN THE RIGHT to climb by proving that you CAN climb and are not merely a tourist.

+1
×